Saturday, July 28, 2007

i am country

tomato gravy...big grandmama's specialty...sometimes i would eat it with a spoon

camp stew and lemonade stands...10 cents a cup...my cousin debra

the mail-man that always pulled a peppermint from behind my ear...(how did he do that?)

being spanked with fly swatters, switches off bushes, and bare hands

crawling underneath beds and up into attics

sugar cookies and biscuits

walking down railroad tracks with chocolate milk we stole from uncle jessie's service station

red clay dirt roads

riding the golf cart down to the mailbox or over to the dump

picking tomatoes in big grandmother's garden without her knowing and eating them like an apple

funerals and funerals and funerals of family members with names like aunt pearl, aunt mary-lou, dotty, granddaddy pue, cousin patricia, grandmama bernice

fried deer meat and red kool-aid with no ice

kool cigarettes and homemade ashtrays

short hair cuts and big size women in house slippers

dresses made by hand to fit around their wide wastes and stomachs filled with the best southern cookin you ever could taste...with all the fixins and butter and grease

houses that carried the smell of bacon and coffee

bonnets and brooms

bare feet

fishin poles and crickets

skinned knees and long stringy, tangled hair

hand-me-down over sized clothes

hide-n- go seek in your yard and the neighbors yard and the one across the street

watching braves games and the soaps

lying to her and him and "don't tell your mama" this and "don't tell your daddy" that

black and white photographs hanging on the walls

and big ole hugs...pulled in tight between breasts as big as watermelons

my forehead would catch the sweat on the top of her chest as a result of years of taking care of
her family and the neighbor's family and her children's children

and letting the little girl down the street spend the night for reasons they would never tell me why...except to "stay away from her daddy"

big rifles and guard dogs

love sent through hands in the kitchen and collard greens on the table

eatin everything on my plate because of the starving children in Africa

fried okra and green beans

Big Grandmama

southern Alabama

these are my roots

i am country

2 comments:

bekadean said...

and country's the best kind!
thank God for 'bama!

Alecia Whitaker said...

Huh. I was smiling from the start, thought maybe you'd gone through my family photo album and written about them, until I read about the starving children in Africa. I just can't identify with that. After all, I always cleaned my plate cause of the starvin' kids in China. Were they in Africa, too? Dang. I should've had more seconds!