Thursday, December 27, 2007

xmas 07 no christmas dreamland

The night before I was supposed to leave for home for the holidays, I couldn’t stomach the 13-hour drive I had planned, so I purchased a plane ticket, reserved a rental car, came home early, and tried to sleep. For the first time in months, I was very awake, very aware that I needed to sleep, and very aware of my emotions that I have kept under quite a tight reign lately.

One Gazillion thoughts were racing through my head, none of which I wanted to be there. Sleep came lightly but rest was non-existent. Somewhere in between deep breathing and visualizing myself on a beach, I drifted into dreamland where I proceeded to have an affair with my best friend’s husband. This sent me sitting straight up in bed, sweating, and heart pounding.

Next, I dreamt of my first love in college. A three-year relationship in which I enjoyed very much, still having butterflies when he walked into the room or ran onto the court until the day he walked out of my apartment with his things. I still think of him fondly. In my dream, I could not find my basketball shoes and I was frantic to find them or else coach refused to let me play. The dream setting was in my high school gym and I ran to the boy’s locker room to ask if anyone had seen them. Danny opens the door. My heart pounded. He was in a red uniform, dark hair and skin. He was holding a baby, his new baby. The baby was beautiful, just like him and his wife. I woke up gasping for air…I’m not sure why.

Next dream was about my father and mother. Hard times. No fun. The dream disturbed me so. When I awoke, I was crying, which is very odd if anyone has had this experience. My new philosophy is that the more you break down the easier it becomes…so if you have to--then do it fast. Lingering in that emotion can drown you in your own tears…so I cleared up immediately, and felt very proud of myself.

I asked God to let me sleep.

Lastly, I dreamt of my last heart wrenching love. It felt so very bizarre and real and it felt the exact same as it did a year ago without all the hurt and anger and annoyance and drama separating us over the last forever months. By this point in my sleep, I recognized it as a dream and fought to wake myself up to avoid this phony feeling.

I received a text that woke me up at 4:16am

And I am awake

Awake for two days straight actually, without the help of any drugs or caffeine.

Just soulful energy I suppose.

Merry Christmas to me.

No comments: